Local training class is now being offered to ASQ members at a 10% discount.
For details contact the McDonald Consulting Group
CA PLUS: Feb 6-7, 2018 – Austin, TX
Strong Root Cause Analysis / More effective Corrective Action
Tell me if this sounds familiar:
You get a customer complaint – they’ve received a defective thingy from you.
- You go through Root Cause Analysis (RCA) – determine the problem, fix it, and notify the customer. The customer is happy.
A few months later, the customer gets another defective thingy from you.
- You go back through RCA, determine that it was a different Root Cause (RC), fix that, and notify the customer (again). The customer is less happy, and a little grumbly.
A few months after that, the customer gets a third defective thingy from you. They’re really mad now, and losing confidence that you even know how to make defect-free thingys!
- You go back a third time, find a different RC from the first two, fix that, and grovel to the customer so they won’t take their business elsewhere. The customer is downright cranky now, and wants to implement additional controls so they don’t receive any more defective parts – at your expense, not theirs, of course.
Have you been here? Are you worried that this could happen to you?
Maybe this has happened to you already…. or you’re worried that it could in the future.
You thought you had the problem solved, but it recurs (even for a different root cause)? Your bosses ask why it wasn’t “fixed right the first time”?
Tens of hours of analysis and implementation,
spent by dozens of highly-trained people,
wasting (tens of) thousands of dollars in time and resources,
with the net result of ZERO customers happy in the end.
I can help!
The scenario above really happened. The Fortune 50 company, at their wits’ end, called me in to help them fix the problem – once and for all. They had smart engineers on the problem, so I was a bit nervous about what value I could add. I reviewed what they did –
- They followed all the protocols for Root Cause Corrective Action. ✓
- They did their analysis, and hadn’t missed any of the possible root causes. ✓
- They fully implemented and verified the selected Corrective Action. ✓
So – why was the problem recurring, not once, but twice??!?
I went back to the drawing board. I went back to the training I had personally received from the great Japanese masters on how to do effective Root Cause Analysis. I realized the step that most everyone was skipping, or rushing through…. Time and time again. I validated that this step is the one most often overlooked. I went back and worked with their team to implement this step better.
And I fixed the problem for the client. Permanently. Problem never reared its ugly head again.
And it works just as well for quality, environmental, and health and safety systems – anywhere that you need to implement permanent corrective action.
Everything Old is New Again
I didn’t develop a new tool.
I didn’t have breakthrough innovation.
I simply applied what my Japanese instructors told me to, with a few modern tweaks.
Better Corrective Action – CA PLUS
If you’d like to learn this technique – how to improve the chances of implementing a Corrective Action that prevents the problem from returning – then sign up for CA+
BONUS: This tool is also very effective in identifying and minimizing risk.